Land and Records Research Center, Nauvoo, Illinois
Located at the northwest corner of Parley and Partridge Streets in Nauvoo, Illinois is a building known as the Land and Records Research Center. Traditionally, this facility allowed one to find out “who lived where” in Nauvoo during the early-mid 1840s. The office has been of particular value to those who descend from the Latter-day Saint settlers who lived in Nauvoo. Utilizing information about subdivision lots, tract lands and streets, it helped patrons go to the actual site where their ancestors lived in this historic place. Records from roughly 1839-1845 for both Hancock County, Illinois and Lee County, Iowa are housed in the Records Office. Additionally, there are some genealogical, ordinance data, and biographical resources available to interested visitors. Other miscellaneous documents and reference materials, including information from other area churches, have been gathered by Nauvoo missionaries.
Please note: presently, the building shown here is not being used. The traditional services once housed here have been moved to a desk in the Nauvoo Visitors’ Center located at 290 North Main Street.
The Land and Records Research Center is owned and maintained by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Please note: Presently, the Land and Records Research Center is not staffed. Its function has been moved to a desk in the Nauvoo Visitors’ Center located at 290 North Main Street. It will be there until further notice. To contact those offering assistance, the following email should be used: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Map & Directions
The traditional Land and Records Research Center is located on the northeast corner of the intersection of Parley and Partridge Streets. This is found down by the Mississippi River in the older section of Nauvoo known as the Flats.
Please note: The Land and Records services have been moved to the Nauvoo Visitors’ Center located at 290 North Main Street.
Articles & Resources
Keith W. Perkins and Donald Q. Cannon, in LaMar C. Berrett, ed., Sacred Places, Vol. 3, 125.